- The NPI is copyrighted by Jeffrey L Cummings, MD
- There is a charge for use of the NPI by pharmaceutical companies in commercial clinical trials (click “Use of the NPI in clinical trials and obtaining the instrument” for more information)
- The NPI can be downloaded and used without charge by any academic investigator using the instrument in noncommercial studies
- Any use of the NPI must accompanied by an acknowledgement of the source of the NPI
- All NPI case report forms must carry the copyright notification (© JL Cummings, 1994, all rights reserved; permission for commercial use required; npiTEST.net)
- The NPI or portions thereof may not be republished without the permission of the originator: any republication must carry the copyright notification (© JL Cummings, 1994, all rights reserved; permission for commercial use required; npiTEST.net)
- Appropriate use of the NPI is the responsibility of the user; Dr. Cummings does not indemnify the use of the NPI or in any way guarantee the results of clinical trials in which the NPI is used; the responsibility for quality application of the NPI rests entirely with the user.